Greenhouse gas emissions come from the burning of fossil fuels for energy and transportation, using fossil fuels in agriculture, and the destruction of forests, soil, and other places that sequester carbon.
If we don’t take widespread, systemic action to reduce carbon emissions, the impacts of climate change will be severe – droughts in some parts of the world and flooding in others. Rising sea levels will threaten our major cities worldwide. Communities and ecosystems are already facing the devastating effects of this crisis.
Climate change is an enormous threat to people and the planet, but it is also presents an opportunity to create a truly green economy that works for all.
We Have Solutions
Fortunately, we have existing solutions to address climate change. Now we need to scale them up.
Green America works with its members and allies to:
- End US reliance on dirty energy – including coal and fracked gas. Our reliance on coal-fired power continues to decline, but we continue to oppose the increase in natural gas fracking.
- Support clean energy development, including solar and wind. Solar and wind are now the fastest growing energy sources in the world.
- Target major sources of potent and dangerous greenhouse gases used in refrigerant management and push for climate-safe alternatives.
- Shift our nation’s agricultural systems to regenerative agriculture that actually absorbs carbon into the soil.
- Protect forests and reduce our reliance on trees for paper.