Anyone can garden for the planet, whether you live in a high rise apartment or on acres of rural land. This video will get you started with the basics of where, what, and how to plant and care for a new garden with an emphasis on soil heath and carbon sequestration.
Ready for more Climate Victory Garden tips and tricks? Check out these beginner FAQ.
Step One: Start small.
- If you have a yard, grow a small bed that gets several hours of sun.
- No yard? No worries! You can grow food on a balcony or sunny windowsill.
Step Two: Grow What You Love to Eat.
- Look to your favorite recipes for inspiration.
- Choose plants that are suited to your area and easy to grow like greens and herbs.
- Beginner gardeners may have the best luck buying seedlings but growing from seed is more affordable.
- When you can, choose organic and non-GMO.
Step Three: Plant and Care for Your Garden.
- Water thoroughly when planting… and consistently after that.
- Weed regularly so your plants get enough water, sunlight, and space.
Step Four: Protect Your Soil.
- Cover it with mulch, avoiding chemicals, and using compost.
- Every acre of soil we restore can capture 25 to 60 tons of carbon!
Step Five: Learn more!
- Ready for more Climate Victory Garden tips and tricks? Check out these beginner FAQ.