Ben & Jerry’s Declares Support of Occupy Wall Street

Submitted by greenamerica on October 18, 2011

 

Occupy Wall Street has grown into a movement that has spread throughout the country and around the world. Ben & Jerry’s, producers of ice cream with a social mission, have announced their support. Read their statement.

In the course of a month, Occupy Wall Street has evolved from a handful of protesters taking over a small piece of New York’s financial district to a movement that has spread throughout the country and around the world. Ben & Jerry’s, producers of ice cream with a social mission, have announced their support for the growing movement.

The Occupy Wall Street movement is becoming a force to be reckoned with, targeting the 1% of people in America who control the vast majority of wealth while the remaining 99% shoulder the burdens of a struggling economy. Read Green America's statement of support.

With one of their well-known cows raising an “Occupy” sign in solidarity on their website (pictured), Ben & Jerry’s showed their support with the following statement:

----

We, the Ben & Jerry's Board of Directors, compelled by our personal convictions and our Company’s mission and values, wish to express our deepest admiration to all of you who have initiated the non-violent Occupy Wall Street Movement and to those around the country who have joined in solidarity.  The issues raised are of fundamental importance to all of us.  These include :

  • The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral.
  • We are in an unemployment crisis.  Almost 14 million people are unemployed.  Nearly 20% of African American men are unemployed.  Over 25% of our nation’s youth are unemployed.
  • Many workers who have jobs have to work 2 or 3 of them just to scrape by.
  • Higher education is almost impossible to obtain without going deeply in debt.
  • Corporations are permitted to spend unlimited resources to influence elections while stockpiling a trillion dollars rather than hiring people.

We know the media will either ignore you or frame the issue as to who may be getting pepper sprayed rather than addressing the despair and hardships borne by so many, or accurately conveying what this movement is about.  All this goes on while corporate profits continue to soar and millionaires whine about paying a bit more in taxes. And we have not even mentioned the environment.

We know that words are relatively easy but we wanted to act quickly to demonstrate our support.  As a board and as a company we have actively been involved with these issues for years but your efforts have put them out front in a way we have not been able to do.  We have provided support to citizens' efforts to rein in corporate money in politics, we pay a livable wage to our employees, we directly support family farms and we are working to source fairly traded ingredients for all our products. But we realize that Occupy Wall Street is calling for systemic change.  We support this call to action and are honored to join you in this call to take back our nation and democracy.

Ben & Jerry's Board of Directors

More from the Blog