After the recent announcement of our Starbucks campaign, we know GMO Insiders still need their caffeine fix, so we wanted to share with you all recipes from a great company, Vega. These recipes are beyond easy; it’ll take five minutes or less to make each one.
Their website highlights that the company, “thinks everyone should have the right to know what they’re eating. Vega is committed to making our products from non-GMO ingredients. At the moment, there is no universally-recognized certification standard for non-GMO status in North America, as there is for organics. Until there is, Vega is working with the Non-GMO Project—a third-party non-profit organization— for verification of our non-GMO products.” Way to go!
First off, we have a Mocha Almond smoothie, packed with plant-based, non-GMO goodness. This smoothie is similar to Starbucks’ calorie-heavy iced frappes. This recipe is part of Vega’s Energizing Smoothie Series, so it’s sure to give you the energy to power through your day.
Mocha Almond Smoothie
• 1 serving Vega Protein Smoothie Choc-a-lot
• ¼ cup organic almonds
• ½ cup organic almond milk
• 1 tbsp ground fair trade coffee, decaf or regular (substitute a chilled shot of espresso—whatever you prefer and have on-hand)
• 4-5 cubes ice
1. Add all ingredients to blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
Next, we have a recipe for a Vegaccino: “a nutritious version of that caffeine-packed iced coffee drink that will keep your engine running on pure nutritious goodness and keep you away from that unavoidable sugar crash.”
• 1 serving of Vega One Chocolate
• 1 a shot of espresso (choose decaffeinated if you prefer)
• 1 to 1.5 cups organic coconut (or your preferred) milk alternative
• 1 handful of ice
1. Shake it up and you're good to go; if you're blending, add 1 cup of ice, and blend till smooth.
2. Optional: add ½ organic and/or fair trade certified banana to add creamy texture
Last, we have a Coconut Latte Smoothie, perfect for both nutrition and your taste buds.
Coconut Latte Smoothie
• ½ cup unsweetened organic coconut milk
• ½ cup ice
• 1 shot cooled espresso, or 1 tsp. instant coffee granules (substitute decaf if desired)
• 1 scoop Vega One French Vanilla or Vega Energizing Smoothie Vanilla Almondilla
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Adjust liquid to reach desired thickness.
Thanks a latte for sharing your recipes, Vega!
GMO Insiders, remember to tell Starbucks to serve only organic, non-GMO milk. Click this link to take action.